Thursday, 7 January 2010

Our burden

Listening, as I was, to a podcast from The Economist, I was enthralled by the delightful chatterings of the hosts as they speculated about what will be in the headlines for 2010. They usually do this on a weekly basis but since it was the end of the year, the crystal ball came out with a telescope attached.

Since these guys are part of the team that decides what the headlines will be, the whole exercise is a disguised ad in which they entice readers to buy this week's editions, but since I can't be bothered reading The Economist, listening will have to do.

And as I listened, I heard the conversation move across the realm of economic predictions, and the idea floated was that in 2010, the various national economies which had avoided a depression are going to have to pay for the stimulus spending that took place in 2009. Which other country will Germany help: Italy? Surely not! The Western nations are all spent out, both nationally and as individual shoppers, so...

- and this is the slip that made me pause -

...the prime hope is that the Asian countries will bear the burden of spending in 2010.




Spending your cash is not about buying something you need, or buying something you want. It is now your responsibility to shop. Buy more than you did last year, or last week. Buy more, not because you need it or you want it, but because it is your duty. Citizens of the world, shop for humanity! Your economy needs you.

This is a case of "Think Global, Act Local" enslaved to the economy. Growth is necessary and can only be facilitated by growth in consumer spending. That's our duty, and now our burden in the economy. The mistakes that led to the GFC were made by a minority in the finance industry, and must be corrected by the majority in the workforce.

Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Shop less. Your soul needs you.
Post a Comment