Monday, 27 July 2009

The depression of writing

Earlier this month, Ben Myers posted this comment about the experience of writing.
I’ve often been struck by the fact that a period of intensive writing has exactly the same symptoms as chronic depression – or rather, if someone described the symptoms of depression, you would think they were simply talking about writing. “I have sudden inexplicable mood swings. I am anxious and dejected. I am awake late at night, and can’t get out of bed in the morning. I’ve lost interest in normal activities. I forget to shower and groom myself. I no longer eat meals at regular hours. Late in the afternoon, I am surprised to discover that I’m still wearing my pyjamas. I am drinking too much alcohol. I don’t return phone calls from friends. I feel like I can’t go on.”

I'm there right now. If it wasn't for the fact that my topic deals with fidelity, and one of the pages has a loud "Keep going! Even if you no longer feel caught up in the process, keep going!" in the top paragraph, I think it'd be all over.


Post a Comment