Thursday, 17 July 2008

Enraged!

I heard a story last night, and it enraged me. I felt sorry for the folks who were hurt by the stupidity and I remembered what it was like to feel the same hurt (as it turns out, it was inflicted by the same people who last left scars on my soul). I wished that I could change it all.

About an hour later, I was asked by someone else to think of a time when I experienced God's love. I had two choices of moments with which I could reply. The one I didn't choose was this moment of injustice. But I will write about it here instead.

How is it that feeling outraged can be an experience of God's love? It is because divine love cares for people who are persecuted and oppressed. It is because God's love is best felt when it is felt about someone else. God's love is outward, not inward. God's love is not self-indulgent or narcissistic. As Bonhoeffer wrote, "The church is only the church when it is for others." Experiencing God's love is an experience of loving someone else, of giving to another, of acting compassionately in the face of injustice.
Post a Comment