Thursday, 5 April 2007

Heretic!

Heresy: n. opinion contrary to doctrine of Christian Church or to accepted doctrine on any subject. (Australian Pocket Oxford Dictionary)

I’ve come to the conclusion that I am a heretic. I was raised in the Anglican Communion, left it to go to the Assemblies of God for five years and who is now on the prowl for a new Christian community to join. Somewhere along the way I began postgraduate studies in theology and put all my childhood beliefs in the dock and prosecuted them. I called as my witnesses such luminaries as Hegel, Marx, Kierkegaard, Zizek, Barth, Bonhoeffer, Satre, Eberhard, NT Wright, Marcus Borg, David Chalmers, Tom Searl and Scott Stephens.

The verdict was not in favour of the accused. My childhood beliefs were found guilty and sentenced to ridicule. In fact, it’s now good fun for me to critique what I once believed. Almost a kind of intellectual sport.

But in their place must come another ideology; another framework for viewing the world. Nature abhors a vacuum, after all. So now I have a new framework that stands up to the aforementioned witnesses reasonably well. I wouldn’t say it was watertight (can you get an IP rating for an ideology?) but it’s certainly more robust.

The trouble with it is that it now stands over against the communities in which I now move. From the pulpit comes a statement that is poorly conceived and terribly argued. I am neither moved nor convinced by them. Consequently, I am increasingly under the impression that my opinions are now contrary to doctrine of the mainstream Christian Churches, but not contrary to Christ.

I am, therefore, a heretic.

Perhaps I should get it printed on a T-shirt.
Post a Comment